South Jersey Lyft Accident Lawyer
The ridesharing service Lyft has had a strong presence in New Jersey and Pennsylvania for the past several years. Unfortunately, Lyft drivers can act negligently and cause a crash that results in very serious injuries. After any car accident, it is natural to feel shocked, frustrated, and confused. This is even more likely after a crash involving a Lyft driver. You can still file a claim for compensation, but these cases are much more complex than other auto accidents. A South Jersey Lyft accident lawyer can advise you of your legal options.
Understanding Your Legal Options After a Lyft Accident
If you have been hurt in a crash caused by a negligent Lyft driver, the type and amount of compensation you receive will depend on the Lyft driver’s activities at the time. There are three categories these crashes fall into.
- Driver was not logged into app: If you were another driver that was injured and the Lyft driver did not have their app on, you must file a claim with your own insurance company if you have limited tort coverage in Pennsylvania, or you are in an accident in New Jersey, where no fault law applies. If you were a cyclist or pedestrian and you do not have your own auto insurance policy, you must file a claim against the Lyft driver’s personal insurance policy.
- Driver was logged in but did not have a passenger: If you are hurt by a negligent Lyft driver and they had their app turned on but they were not carrying a passenger, Lyft may provide some compensation. If you exhaust your own insurance policy, have full tort coverage, or you legally do not have auto insurance, Lyft will provide up to $50,000 in compensation for the entire crash.
- Lyft driver was logged in and was carrying a passenger: If Lyft is liable for paying damages and the ridesharing driver was logged into the app and was carrying a passenger, Lyft will provide up to $1 million in compensation.
What to Do After a Lyft Accident
The steps you take after a Lyft accident are very important, as they can help or hinder any future claim you file. After a collision, you must take the following steps:
- Move off the road and get to a safe place.
- Call 911 so police will come to the scene and file a report, and so an ambulance will also arrive so you can receive treatment for your injuries immediately.
- Exchange information with all drivers and accident victims involved.
- Take pictures and video footage of the damage to vehicles, the entire accident scene, and of your injuries.
- Call a lawyer who can advise you of your legal options.
Serving Atlantic City, Marlton, Cherry Hill, Vineland, Bridgeton, Millville, Camden, Trenton
If you have been hurt in a crash, our New Jersey and Pennsylvania Lyft accident lawyer at Monaco Law, PC can advise you of any and all compensation you are entitled to. Call us now or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to obtain the legal advice you need.