Marlton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
When your loved one is incapable of caring for themselves, it may put you in a bad position. You may want to care for your family member, but you may have a family of your own as well as a full-time job. What other options do you have?
If nobody else can care for your loved one, then the next step is to find a quality nursing home. This is no easy task. Millions of nursing home residents are abused every year. Nursing home abuse occurs when residents are harmed, whether or not it is intentional. This abuse can result in physical and emotional trauma, medical emergencies, and even death. Most cases of abuse are caused by staff members, but resident-on-resident abuse is also common.
Abuse can come about in several forms. It can be physical, emotional, sexual, or even financial abuse. If your loved one has been a victim, you could be facing a complicated situation. What should you do? Your first step should be to contact a Marlton nursing home abuse lawyer from Monaco Law PC today. We’ll fight for your legal rights and hold the nursing home facility accountable.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
A nursing home resident can suffer from these types of abuse:
- This type of abuse is intentional in nature and may involve hitting, punching, kicking, shoving, pinching, and throwing objects at a resident.
- This type of abuse may not leave physical scars, but it can cause embarrassment, anxiety, depression, and isolation. Emotional abuse may include insults, taunts, name-calling, and yelling.
- Sexual abuse is surprisingly common in nursing homes. It involves any unwanted sexual activity. Residents who have mental or physical disabilities face the highest risk.
- Financial abuse is also a concern. Staff members may steal money from residents or make changes to bank accounts and wills to get a hold of their assets.
- Neglect is often unintentional and refers to residents being ignored or unattended for long periods of time. These residents face dangers such as malnutrition, dehydration, infections, and bedsores.
Causes of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse may be caused by the following:
- Staffing issues
- Inadequate precautions to prevent injury
- Failure to provide correct medication and dosage
- Failure to provide proper nutrition and hydration
- Disregarding doctor orders
- Failure to reposition residents to prevent bedsores
- Failure to accompany residents to toilet
- Failure to detect infection
- Not providing timely medical care to sick or injured patients
Contact Monaco Law PC Today
You expect that your family member will be properly cared for in a nursing home. You should not have to tolerate nursing home abuse. If your loved one is a victim, seek legal help right away to recover compensation.
Monaco Law PC can help you understand your legal rights. We understand your frustration. Discuss your case with our Marlton nursing home abuse lawyer today. Schedule a free consultation by filling out the online form or calling (609) 277-3166.